Monday, February 27, 2023

The Story Behind The Code by Sean Keefer

 



 

The Story Behind The Code by Sean Keefer

The Code is the third book in the Noah Parks Mystery Series. The first two books are chronologically synchronized, occurring within months of each other. When I finished The Solicitor, I knew there was at least one more Noah Parks book to be written. 

However, I realized there was a potentially beneficial crossroad, that being where, in the timeline of the Noah Parks Universe, it would be set.

I had begun researching a concept I had stumbled upon after an unexpected conversation with a friend. The conversation motivated me to do a bit of internet research, and what I found really sparked my interest. From that point, I read a number of books, attended some lectures, had more conversations, and met with several experts. If I am being a bit cryptic as to the nature of the research, well, I’m doing that intentionally. To reveal the nature of the research would be a spoiler for those who have not read The Code.

The research process took a while, and during the time I was starting to figure out how my research would fit into the plot of what, at the time, I didn’t even know would be called The Code, I started to realize there was a lot about my characters that I didn’t know. 

When I wrote the first book, I’d been practicing law for about six years. That meant there was a quarter of a century of history that I had yet to explore with some of the characters. That was simply too tempting to me. I found I wanted to know more about my characters. Comes to find out there was a lot they had to tell me. From here, I made the decision to make The Code a prequel to the first two books.

When I finished The Code, I could not have been happier with my decision. Not that the story would have been different had I simply had it follow my last book, but by making it a prequel, I found I had a number of options for crafting the plot that would have otherwise not existed. 

Most surprising to me was that as the work on The Code progressed, I saw several questions develop that will yield to more of the character’s backstory. In fact, one of the questions that found itself into The Code was one that I had not even seen until I was asked about it by a reader. When I started to ponder the question, I realized that the research I was doing for the follow-up book was a perfect fit to answer the question that I had been asked. 

As I was guided to write The Code, I may have unknowingly created the inspiration, or at least planted the seed that will become the next book in the Noah Parks Mystery Series. 

 


It should have been an otherwise uneventful Sunday morning for Charleston attorney Noah Parks. Perhaps a trip to the beach or a run with his new Australian Shepherd, Austin. But with a cryptic voicemail, everything changes.

A client has vanished, leaving nothing behind as a clue to where he may be. Neither his family, friends, nor neighbors are able to provide help.

Turning to his friend Emmett Gabriel, Charleston’s newest police detective, Parks can only watch as what started with a simple voicemail takes on a sinister life of its own. 

Parks soon finds himself entangled in an affair that spans centuries, going back to the time of Charleston’s birth.

With a focus on learning his client’s fate, Parks will soon find himself facing a mystery that will not only be a test of his wits but leaves him challenged in ways he never imagined.

Facing down twists, turns, betrayals, and traditions of honor, will he break The Code?

Release Date: October 7, 2022

Publisher: Rivers Turn Press

Soft Cover: 978-0998575575; 319 pages

Amazon: https://amzn.to/3IETRpM 

Rivers Turn Press: https://bit.ly/3V9725u 




Sean Keefer is the award winning author of three legal thrillers, The Trust, The Solicitor, and The Code, all set in and around coastal South Carolina.

He is also the author of Mediation in the Family Courts of South Carolina, a legal treatise on family law mediation.

He lives and writes in Charleston, South Carolina.

In addition to his writing, Sean is a recording and performing guitarist/singer/songwriter of Americana and Alt-Country music. Watch him sing Carolina Sunset which was inspired by his latest book, The Code. Listen here!

For more information about his writing and music, visit SeanKeefer.com and ADogNamedBear.com.

Follow him on Facebook @theNoahParksMysterySeries and @SeanKeeferMusic. Follow him on Instagram @NoahParksMysteries and @1ADogNamedBear1 

Website | Instagram | Facebook | Goodreads

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment