Thursday, November 25, 2021

The Story Behind A Christmas Kindness by Cheryl C. Malandrinos

 





The Story Behind A Christmas Kindness

By Cheryl C. Malandrinos


You know what they say about the best laid plans? Well, that’s so true when it comes to pen names. Many moons ago, when the Muse Free Online Writers Conference existed, I met Vivian Zabel, President of 4RV Publishing. By the time we talked about A Christmas Kindness, I had reviewed some of 4RV’s books, so I knew the kinds of stories this publishing house looked for. I pitched A Christmas Kindness to Vivian during an online pitching session—these existed even before Zoom—and she asked me to email her my story.

As you can imagine, the excitement of a publisher requesting your story never wanes. Even though I have had four stories published, with a fifth under contract, you can’t help but scream in your head, “They like me. They really like me.”

But … I digress. I received the contract for A Christmas Kindness, which I told her I would publish under a pen name. “You sure?” Vivian asked. Of course, I was sure. Right?

I signed the contract and impatiently awaited the creation of artwork and a cover design. Patience will never be my strong suit, but I busied myself getting a website together and setting up social media accounts in that pen name, because you can’t easily promote your book without those.

The illustrations and editing done, the time to publish A Christmas Kindness came. The editing team and I read the final proofs and off they went to the printer. [Imagine Cheryl doing a happy dance.]

Books arrived. They looked fabulous. I shared them with everyone I knew, and from the beginning people asked, “Who is that?”

Whoops! It took a ton of effort to build a new audience who didn’t know that author. They knew me. They knew my other book. But they didn’t know who this author was whose book I was promoting all over the place.

So, in 2014, when 4RV Publishing decided to release a digital version of A Christmas Kindness, I asked them to change the cover design and the interior to reflect my real name. Much better results.

In 2020, 4RV Publishing asked me to produce additional content for A Christmas Kindness, so that we could release a second edition in hardcover and softcover. The only greater experience than having a publisher believe enough in your story to publish it, is knowing they have the faith to publish a new edition (during a pandemic, no less). The second edition has discussion questions, activities, crafts, and more.

The story behind this book is that sometimes we make a decision that winds up not being the best choice. In those moments of discovery and realization, we need to create a plan of action to get us to where we want to be. Then, having a support team behind you, move forward and embrace the change.

 




Eight-year-old Robert is eager to share his wish list with Santa at the mall on Christmas Eve. When he meets Glenn, who only has one request for Santa, Robert is confused about what he should do.  Can he cast aside what he wants and ask Santa to bring his new friend a special gift?

PRAISE:

It is not often that a simple children’s book can nearly bring me to tears, but this one succeeded. There is nothing better than reading a story at Christmastime that reminds you that there are still good people and good kids in the world. This is one heartwarming Christmas story that you and your kids can read and enjoy. It will remind you of the true meaning of Christmas, and I believe that the author’s purpose is accomplished.

– Ruth, Amazon Reviewer

Robert can’t wait to see Santa. He’s got a pile of stuff he wants to ask for. Then he meets Glenn in line, and Robert himself gets to play Santa. I was touched by the main character’s transformation after he came in contact with someone in real need. The glow he walks away with can’t be bought, and he’ll never find it under the Christmas tree, but it’s the heart of the season that he’s found. Nicely illustrated, enjoyable story for readers of all ages. 

– Jude, Amazon Reviewer

  • Pick up your copy of A Christmas Kindness at Amazon.





Cheryl C. Malandrinos
 is a freelance writer and editor. She is the author of four children’s books including, A Christmas Kindness, released by 4RV Publishing. A member of SCBWI, she is blogger and book reviewer. She lives in Massachusetts with her husband and two daughters. She also has a son who is married.

Visit Cheryl online at http://ccmalandrinos.com and her children’s book blog at https://childrensandteensbookconnection.wordpress.com.

Connect with Cheryl on Twitter and Facebook.


No comments:

Post a Comment